Saturday, March 31, 2007

Las Virgenes

When my sister Karen and I were in Spain, we took pictures of all of the fountains that are plentiful and gorgeous throughout Barcelona and Madrid. When we got home, I put together a frame of many of our favorite fountains as a memory of the trip and gave it to Karen for Christmas. She still has it hanging on her wall.

When we stopped outside of Monterey on our way to San Juan, I saw this stone statue, pictured at right, of La Virgen de Guadalupe. I realized that we always see the most beautiful shrines to La Virgen en Sonora, so I decided to do the same thing Karen and I did with the fountains in Spain with Las Virgenes en Mexico.


Since then Danny and I take our camera with us on all of our walks and we find the most gorgeous depictions of La Virgen all over the city, from shrines built into walls, in front yards, on the side of the road, etc. I look forward to assembling the same kind of frame of these amazing works of art, that also intruige me because it signifies the Mexican culture's unwavering sense of faith, which is ever-present all over the country.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Buena idea! I love my Spanish fountains and your Virgenes will look beautiful as well.

love,
K-ron