Sunday, April 1, 2007

Atetelco

A few days ago, Dan and I went for a walk back towards the spot where we landed en el Globo. Atetelco is a dig site that seems pretty well preserved.


The murals are gorgeous, in varying stages of restoration. Dan tells me that most of the murals are depicting warriors in battle, although he is sleepy because we just had a large meal at old friend, Alicia's house up the street. He may just be trying to humor me so I'll leave him alone to doze.

Yup, he just went off to nap. Anyhow, I'll ask Charlie..."it was a dwelling compound of a high status group of people. We don't know what their social organization was, but it was probably an extended family of a high socio-economic status. They had this compound to themselves and they had their own mini-pyramid/temple type of structures on their property. This indicates that maybe they were important in a religious manner. Some of the rooms may have been used to store grains, so they also may have been wealthy merchants." Charlie's answer sounds better to me.

No comments: